Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Dining Room Inspiration

Many, many, inspirations have been found lately, bookmarked, notebooked, and now I'm going to start sharing them.  Maybe you all can help me make decisions or locate good deals.  We are on T-minus 6 days until we get the keys to the house and begin moving stuff in.  Although we already have a good amount of furniture, we'll definitely still need more to fill our house.  The first of this that I'd like to tackle is the dining/eat-in kitchen.  Because we don't have a formal dining room, but the eat-in kitchen space is a good size, I want to find a solution that will make the space casual for every day and formal-looking enough when expanded for larger groups.

I found the image below a few weeks ago and keep coming back to it.  Maybe it's a little more on the casual side, but I love the vintage elegance that the Belgian sofa brings to the table (pun not intended). :)

Mimic:  large oak (refinished & pedestal-leg) table, sofa or bench on one side, neutral colors
Modify:  all chairs for remainder of seating (rather than including foot-stool), and a more modern finish of wood will be needed to match the cabinetry in our kitchen.


{found via Blueprint Bliss and Country Living magazine}

Reminder of what our kitchen looks like:


UPDATE:  Just when I thought it might not be possible to combine the style of our kitchen with my eclectic vision for the eat-in dining area... I found this!  Note, the awesome rustic table with modern chairs, and it all ties together well (aside from the fact that it's not a dining area).  To top it off, it is the workroom of Amy Butler, one of my fav designers:


{image found via decorology, courtesy of Country Living}

What to do?  How can I translate this?  I've searched Craigslist high and low, and just don't seem to be finding a table that fits my vision.  I might have the opportunity to check out the best Rummage Sale at the Portland Expo Center tomorrow... fingers crossed... because I'm gone ALL weekend!! Ahhh, such bad timing, as Saturday is 25% off all items and Sunday is 50% off! But don't get me wrong, I'm super excited to get away this weekend. :)

Any other ideas on where I can search for this furniture (preferably used, due to budget & style) or tips on pulling this look together?

Love, J

1 comment:

Emily said...

Try World Market....they have a lot of rustic looking dining sets and they are pretty inexpensive.