Monday, November 23, 2009

Elegant Classic

... Or at least that's what HomeGoods StyleScope results told me... And to be honest, I think it was just about spot on!  So suprising, because sometimes I really struggle with what my true style sense is.  I think it is fully understandable and okay for someone to gravitate towards a few different styles.  However, in my recent attempts to narrow down the decor and style for the rooms in our house, I've noticed a definite trend:  neutral, classic combined with contemporary, and love for vintage & unique accents.  Is this our style?  Probably not, but we do love a lot of the same things.  The main one is all-around color preferences.  Don't get me wrong, I love color, but in looking at picture after picture throughout the blogosphere, my inspiration documentation made me realize one thing... I love neutrals.  If I could guess, maybe it's because my subconscious craves some simplicity and cleanliness to my often cluttered rooms. :)  I ain't gonna lie.  Anyways, Jeff has never been a fan of using bright colors in our decor, unless just as an accent.  Through this new process of decorating an entire house I've learned that this is something I do not have to fight.  So many trends, along side the ambition to finally do something fun with our new space (meaning not an apartment with limitations), made me feel like we needed to do something bold - add big colored accent walls or paint entire rooms - this just isn't the case.  Now, I am okay with this.  We are happiest in the calm and elegantly bold neutral realm.

Here's a clip from the StyleScope results along with some inspirational images that we've pulled aside for some rooms - so crazy - spot on!  I think we're moving in the right direction, and I will definitely post pics as progress is made.  I'd love to hear any of your ideas or thoughts on the matter!

******************************   
Jessica, you are an Elegant Classic
You have a refined sensibility with an appreciation for history and tradition in your furniture and your rooms. You value beauty, things that are well crafted, and family heirlooms. You are visually sensitive and understand how symmetry and a formal layout give order to a room, and hence your home is refined and calming. You are not taken in by the trends of the moment. You go for things with a timeless appeal, and appreciate old-fashioned virtues like manners and handwritten notes and making a home that is welcoming for others.
You value comfort. Your home is a warm and open friendly place, and you feel happiest when everyone is cared for and relaxed in your space. Elements like pillows, throws, overstuffed furniture, and good lighting set the mood. You may also enjoy layering different fabrics or mixing patterns to create a cozy effect.

Your Happy Home Colors
White 
 
Putting Color to Use!
You are probably not one to go in for crazy color, and you may want to keep things fairly neutral and sophisticated overall. But try selecting a duo or trio of colors that work well together, and introduce one or more of them into your curtains, wall color or rugs. This will tie the overall palette together in a coherent way. You could even incorporate your color palette in smaller doses, like in your tablecloths, cushions, throws, or bedspreads, for example. 
******************************
 
 [Idea for our Master Bedroom - primarily Grey walls]
http://images.marthastewart.com/images/content/pub/ms_living/2003Q3//msl_0903_makeover_xl.jpg
{image courtesy of Martha Stewart}

[Idea for Living Room - Use of strong Brown accents, patterned rug, and dark furniture]
 - Note: our couch is already tan, and our walls not far off from this (middle-top in swatches above)
http://www.diyideas.com/images/img_livingmakeoverlg_ss4.jpg
{image courtesy of DIY Ideas}

[Other Favorites]
{image courtesty of DIY Ideas}

- I am very much LOVING collections of vases & jars!  Anyone close to my wedding planning knows this as well :)
{image courtesy of Sarah Kaye}

- I want a mirror similar to the one in this beautiful room
{image courtesy of Sarah Kaye}

- There I go with the grey again
{image courtesy of Sarah Kaye}
 
- I think my style is similar to the amazing Bryn of Bryn Alexandra Interiors, I getting excited every time she shows a sneak peek of her new work for her new business - check her out!
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2749/4087719111_bc9fc1c5d3_b.jpg
{courtesy of Bryn Alexandra} 

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Hey Jess! Thanks for commenting on our headboard post! I'm not gonna lie; we're pretty proud of it. But it was pretty easy, just a little time consuming, but totally worth it! I can't wait to see what you come up with in your cute new house! I've definitely got the design bug for our place and our bedroom is about to be attacked. :) Good luck!
Jess :)